About the program
The Doctoral Program in Modern History presents its Ph.D. students with the possibility of undertaking original research on topics dealing with Europe and North America in the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries, as well as relationships between the two continents. The program further aims to provide essential training in various theoretical and methodological approaches to the study of modern history. In particular, it promotes research dealing with mutual relations between individual countries, as well as comparative and transnational perspectives on modern and contemporary history.
The students of the program are, according to the topic of their dissertation and its territorial matters, assigned to the individual departments of the Institute of International Studies where they participate in scientific, pedagogical and other activities:
- Department of European Studies
- Department of German and Austrian Studies
- Department of North American Studies
- Department of Russian and East European Studies
The program can be studied as a full-time or as a combined form of study.
The doctoral study program Modern History:
- is unique in the context of the Czech Republic due to its focus on the history of some regions and relationship issues, that are not in such complexity and so systematic manner subject to research at any other university in the Czech Republic;
- provides a first-rate, yet challenging education in modern and contemporary history, combining a variety of approaches ranging from traditional political history to historical-anthropological approaches;
- is internationally focused and provides a wide range of opportunities to study and work professionally around the world;
- is provided by top experts including regular visiting foreign experts;
- is carried out at the Institute of International Studies, which is characterized by a friendly and accommodating environment, which also includes social, cultural and sports activities.
Information about admissions available HERE.
Rules for the organization of PhD Studies
For detailed information about the study requirements of Modern History Study Program see the Rules for the organization of PhD Studies.